A practical toolkit for embedding GIRFT within a trust
The GIRFT programme has published a ‘Getting the most out of GIRFT’ toolkit. The toolkit sets out how trusts can embed the GIRFT programme in their continuous improvement, based on the examples of Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust and University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust.
The toolkit includes case studies, videos and templates setting out how trusts can use the GIRFT process to deliver quality improvement, for the benefit of patient outcomes and experiences. Key steps detailed in the toolkit include creating a core, trust-level team to co-ordinate GIRFT work, engaging the wider workforce and how to prepare and follow-up on GIRFT deep dive visits and national report publications.
This toolkit will help you answer:
- What are the benefits to trusts of embedding the GIRFT approach
- How do we maximise the impact of GIRFT in our trust?
- How do we achieve this in our trust? Including:
- Who can lead this work?
- How do we engage staff across the trust?
- What meetings, reporting and other governance will support this?
Examples and templates for download
Click on the image thumbnails below to download the file
Creating a trust-level GIRFT team
- Senior level leadership and backing
- Multi-professional membership
- Excellent working relationships
- A monitored organisational GIRFT email address (e.g. [email protected]) to co-ordinate external and internal communication
- Central repository of GIRFT deep-dive data packs / trust reports, observation notes, action plans and progress against improvement responses
- Continuity and consistency
- Engagement and visibility of GIRFT work in the trust
- Structured onward internal reporting process and function
- Effective use of data by the trust
- Leadership in embedding GIRFT
- Service level responses
- Effective trust-wide response to GIRFT